NUTELLA CHOCOLATE CAKE
This Nutella Chocolate Cake is a delicious combination of an incredibly moist chocolate cake and a sweet, delicious Nutella icing, all covered in chocolate ganache. Delish!
2 cups (260g) all purpose flour
2 cups (414g) sugar
3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup (240ml) water
2 cups (448g) salted butter, room temperature
1 cup (189g) shortening
2 cups (620g) Nutella hazelnut spread
10 cups (1150g) powdered sugar
5–6 tbsp milk or water
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (120ml) heavy whipping cream
Ferrero Rocher candies
1. Prepare four 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides.
2. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
5. Pour into four 8 inch cakes pans and bake at 300 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. I baked the cakes in two batches, two at a time, with about 1 1/2 cups of batter per pan.
6. Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
7. Make icing while cakes cool. Beat together butter and shortening until smooth.
8. Add Nutella and mix until smooth.
9. Slowly add half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
10. Add 2-3 tbsp of milk or water and mix until smooth.
11. Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
12. Add more water or milk until the frosting is the right consistency.
13. Once cakes are cool, remove cake domes from top with a large serrated knife.
14. Place first layer of cake on a plate or cardboard cake circle. Add about 3/4 cup of frosting and spread into an even layer.
15. Add second layer of cake and add another 3/4 cup of frosting and spread into an even layer.
16. Add third layer of cake on top and add another 3/4 cup of frosting and spread into an even layer.
17. Top frosting with the fourth layer of cake, then frost the outside of the cake. Feel free to use my tutorial for frosting a smooth cake.
18. To make the chocolate ganache, place the chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl.
19. Microwave the heavy whipping cream just until it starts to boil. Pour over the chocolate chips and let sit for 2-3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
20. Drizzle the chocolate ganache around the edge of the cake, then pour the remainder of the ganache on top of the cake and spread evenly. I like to use a squeeze bottle for drizzling around the edges.
21. Allow the ganache to firm up a bit, then pipe the remainder of the frosting around the top edge of the cake and top each swirl with a Ferrero Rocher candy. I used Ateco tip 849.
22. Cake is best when well covered for 3-4 days.
adapted from ; https://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/nutella-chocolate-cake/