THE PERFECT ONE-BOWL CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
- 3 Cups (415g) all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Cups (530g) white granulated sugar
- 1 Cup (95g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch Process)
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 Cup (177ml) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Cups (355ml) full-fat buttermilk*, room temperature DIY recipe in the notes
- 1 1/2 Cups (355ml) hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare three 6-inch cake pans by spraying the sides with cooking spray and fitting the bottoms with a wax paper or parchment cake circle.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and stir on low for 30 seconds to fully combine them. Add the vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix on low until just combined. With the mixer still on low, add the hot water in a slow stream, then turn the mixer to medium and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour into prepared cake pans no more than 2/3 full and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting with chocolate buttercream or frosting of your choice.
adapted from : https://sugarandsparrow.com/chocolate-cake-recipe/