THE BEST HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CAKE YOU’LL EVER HAVE!!
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 c. all-purpose flour We love Bob’s Red Mill for great quality!
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- grease bottom and sides of pan (I use 2 round pans or 1 9 by 13). preheat oven to 350 degrees. I would even suggest lining the bottom with parchment paper and then spraying.
- Combine cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat butter for 30 seconds or so. slowly add sugar.
- Add eggs 1 at a time beating after each one. Beat in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients beating after each addition.
- Add 1/2 of the milk, beat. Then add the other 1/2. Beat just until everything is combined nicely.
- Spread batter about into pans making them about 2/3 full. You may have remaining batter (I sometimes make a few cupcakes.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes for round pans, 5 min longer or so for the 9 by 13 pan. Watch it though! a knife coming out clean from the center means it is done. NOTE: Many readers are finding they need to increase the baking time. This is probably due to the difference in ovens, pans, and elevation. Always go by the way the cake looks and if the cake is done in the center.
Another method of mixing this cake that works better for some is simply mixing the dry ingredients and the wet in separate bowls and stirring them gently together.One of our readers has let us know that, when making cupcakes with this recipe, 375 degrees for 17 minutes is perfect. (Thanks, Dina!)There has been a common problem with the cake falling in the center and being undercooked. This is because it is removed too soon. Be sure that the cake is dry on the edges, and that that a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center. If you remove it too soon, even if it looks done, it will fall (all cakes will!).